Sumburgh Head Project
Published: May 15, 2012
The Sumburgh Head Project is led by Shetland Amenity Trust, in partnership with the RSPB and in co-operation with the Northern Lighthouse Board.
This is a £5.4million project to redevelop the area of Sumburgh Head into a world class visitor attraction. The area is an RSPB bird reserve and a Site of Special Scientific Interest. The Sumburgh Lighthouse itself was designed by Robert Stevenson and was the first lighthouse to be built in Shetland - in 1821.
Corramore Construction Ltd have recently been appointed as the main contractors on the project and work is expected to commence in June 2012, for completion in Spring 2014.
The project has been generously funded by a range of organisations including: The Scottish Rural Development Programme, the European Regional Development Fund, Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Scotland, Highlands and Islands Enterprise, Scottish Natural Heritage, The Wolfson Foundation, Shetland Islands Council, Shetland Amenity Trust and the RSPB.
Progress, plans, access details and more information about the funders can be seen on the project website - www.sumburghhead.com